The Manipur government has announced that all educational institutes in the state would remain closed for three days from August 20, citing the ‘prevailing law-and-order situation’.
The order came as protesters burnt effigies of politicians and took out rallies in different parts of Manipur's valley districts on the second day of the 48-hour general strike called by the Campaign for Just and Fair Delimitation (JFD) to press for updation of the National Register of Citizens (NRC) before the Census exercise is conducted in the state.
The JFD has also announced a boycott of all government offices from Thursday as part of its ongoing agitation.
An order by the state Education Department said, “In view of the prevailing law-and-order situation in the state, the Governor of Manipur declare the closure of all schools as may be affiliated to the Board of Secondary Education, the Council of Higher Secondary Education, the Central Board of Secondary Education or otherwise; colleges and higher education institutes incuding universities; falling under government, aided or unaided sectors, from August 20 to August 22.”
Market places, educational institutions, and public transport were also affected in five valley districts including Imphal West, Imphal East, Kakching, Thoubal, and Bishnupur during the protest.
At Khurai Lamlong in Imphal East district, bandh supporters burnt effigies of Chief Minister Y Khemchand Singh and Home Minister Govindas Konthoujam on Wednesday. They demanded that the census not be conducted until internally displaced persons (IDPs) return to their native places.
Dozens of demonstrators also took out a rally at Singjamei in Imphal West district and marched for nearly 2 km to press for their demands.
Road blockades continued at several locations in Imphal West, Imphal East, Bishnupur and Thoubal districts, with bandh supporters stopping private vehicles as well as security forces from proceeding and asking them to return.
A census training programme for supervisors, enumerators and field trainers was also cancelled in Thoubal district, officials said.
Normal life remained paralysed across several valley districts in Manipur on 19 August during the 48-hour shutdown called by JFD, a Meitei group, against the Census until a National Register of Citizens (NRC) is done.
Meitei groups have been pressing for an NRC to identify undocumented migrants who settled in Manipur after 1951 from neighbouring countries and pose a threat to the state’s original inhabitants.
Kuki groups have accused Meiteis of trying to label them all as undocumented immigrants. In neighbouring Assam, an NRC was updated in 2019 to identify undocumented immigrants who came to the state after 1971.
A government notification issued on March 22, said that the first phase of Census 2027 (House listing operation) in Manipur is scheduled to begin on September 1 for 30 days. Additionally, a self-enumeration facility will also be available for 15 days from August 17 to August 31.
Manipur government spokesperson Sapam Ranjan said on 17 August that a team would rush to Delhi to meet central leaders to press them to postpone the Census until an NRC is completed. Ranjan cited the Manipur assembly resolution of August 2022 seeking an NRC before the Census, citing the demographic imbalance. In March 2024, the assembly reaffirmed the resolution.
The fresh violence hits Manipur amid a long-drawn ethnic conflict since May 3, 2023 trigerring tension between the Meitei and Kuki-Zo communities. So far, the conflict has caused over 260 deaths, displaced roughly 60,000 people, and split the state into heavily militarised buffer zones. Sporadic clashes, blockades, and security concerns persist.
(With agency inputs)
Gulam Jeelani is Political Desk Editor at LiveMint with over 16 years of experience covering national and international politics. Based in New Delhi, Jeelani delivers impactful political narratives through breaking stories, in-depth interviews, and analytical pieces at LiveMint since February 2024. The expertise in video production fuels his current responsibilities, which include curating content and conducting video interviews for an expanding digital audience.<br><br> Jeelani also travels during elections and key political events and has covered assembly elections in key states apart from national elections. He has previously worked with The Pioneer, Network18, India Today, News9Plus and Hindustan Times.<br><br> Jeelani’s tenure at LiveMint and previous experience at print and digital newsrooms have honed his skills in creating compelling text and video stories, explainers, and analysis that resonate with a diverse viewership.<br><br> Before moving to New Delhi in 2015, Jeelani was based in Uttar Pradesh, where he worked for five years as a reporter. In 2018, Jeelani was one of the two Indian journalists selected for the Alfred Friendly Fellowship in the US. There, he attended training workshops on reporting and data journalism, and he was attached to the Minneapolis Star Tribune in Minnesota, where he worked as a reporter.<br><br> Jeelani is a Bachelor's in Chemistry and holds a Masters Degree in journalism and mass communication from Aligarh Muslim University. Outside work, he enjoys poetry, cricket and movies.
Oops! Looks like you have exceeded the limit to bookmark the image. Remove some to bookmark this image.
Facts Only
* Educational institutes remained closed from August 20 to August 22.
* The closure was declared by the Governor of Manipur.
* The order applied to schools, colleges, and universities in government, aided, or unaided sectors.
* The closure was due to the prevailing law-and-order situation.
* The closure occurred from August 20 to August 22.
* Protesters burnt effigies of politicians and held rallies.
* The protests were part of a 48-hour general strike called by the JFD.
* The JFD announced a boycott of government offices starting Thursday.
* Marketplaces, educational institutions, and public transport were affected in five valley districts: Imphal West, Imphal East, Kakching, Thoubal, and Bishnupur.
* A census training program was cancelled in the Thoubal district.
* The first phase of Census 2027 (House listing operation) is scheduled to begin on September 1 for 30 days.
* A self-enumeration facility will be available from August 17 to August 31.
Executive Summary
Full Take
Sentinel — Human
The text functions as a report synthesizing protest activities, legal timelines, and underlying ethnic tensions in Manipur, supported by contextual details, though the appended biographical block is clearly generated content.
