The Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) on Friday said that the removal of temporary structures from the lane outside the Pakistan High Commission in New Delhi was a “proportionate action” in response to Pakistani authorities dismantling some structures outside the Indian High Commission in Islamabad.
The development comes days after Pakistani authorities removed parking poles and other security-related structures outside the Indian High Commission in Islamabad.
Addressing a media briefing in New Delhi, MEA spokesperson Randhir Jaiswal said the Indian side had requested Pakistani authorities not to remove the structures, but they went ahead with the action.
“Some of the structures in front of the Indian High Commission in Pakistan were removed for the convenience of parking. Despite this, we requested them not to do this. So after that happened, we took what we might call a proportionate action in response,” Jaiswal said.
Jaiswal said temporary structures placed in the lane outside the Pakistani High Commission in New Delhi were subsequently removed.
“They had some temporary structures in the lane of the Pakistani High Commission here, so we removed them from there,” the MEA spokesperson said.
According to government sources, the action in New Delhi on Thursday involved the removal of a queue liner installed outside the Pakistan High Commission. The structure had been placed in the lane outside the diplomatic mission.
The Indian move came three days after Pakistani authorities dismantled security poles outside India's diplomatic mission in Islamabad, prompting New Delhi to respond with what it described as a proportionate measure.
The reciprocal action comes amid strained India-Pakistan ties following the Pahalgam terror attack in Jammu and Kashmir in April 2025, in which 26 people were killed in the name of religion.
India has maintained a firm position against Pakistan-backed terrorism and has repeatedly called for credible and verifiable action against those responsible for supporting cross-border terror.
The Pahalgam terror attack was followed by a strong Indian military response, with New Delhi launching Operation Sindoor in retaliation and targeting terror infrastructure. Military exchanges between the two sides continued until May 10, 2025, when a ceasefire understanding was reached.
Stay informed on all the latest news, real-time breaking news updates, and follow all the important headlines in india news and world news on Zee News.
Facts Only
* Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) spokesperson Randhir Jaiswal briefed media in New Delhi on Friday.
* Pakistani authorities removed parking poles and security structures outside the Indian High Commission in Islamabad.
* Indian authorities removed temporary structures, including a queue liner, from the lane outside the Pakistan High Commission in New Delhi on Thursday.
* The MEA described the action in New Delhi as a "proportionate action."
* The Indian side requested Pakistani authorities not to remove the structures in Islamabad prior to the event.
* 26 people were killed in the Pahalgam terror attack in Jammu and Kashmir in April 2025.
* India launched Operation Sindoor in retaliation against terror infrastructure.
* Military exchanges occurred between India and Pakistan following the April attack.
* A ceasefire understanding was reached on May 10, 2025.
Executive Summary
Diplomatic tensions between India and Pakistan have manifested in reciprocal removals of security and traffic structures outside their respective high commissions. Following the removal of parking poles and security-related structures outside the Indian High Commission in Islamabad, the Indian Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) responded by removing temporary structures, specifically a queue liner, outside the Pakistan High Commission in New Delhi. The MEA characterizes this as a proportionate response, noting that requests to halt the initial removals in Islamabad were ignored.
This friction occurs against a backdrop of severe instability following the April 2025 Pahalgam terror attack, which resulted in 26 deaths. The event triggered a military retaliation by India via Operation Sindoor and a period of military exchanges that persisted until a ceasefire was established on May 10, 2025. While a formal ceasefire is in place, the current diplomatic maneuvering suggests a continued state of high friction and a lack of trust between the two nations.
Full Take
The strongest version of this narrative is that of "tit-for-tat" diplomacy: a calibrated signaling mechanism where states use minor, symbolic infrastructure changes to communicate displeasure without escalating to kinetic conflict. By mirroring the opponent's actions, a state attempts to maintain a perceived equilibrium of power and dignity.
This situation reflects a pattern of symbolic warfare. When primary channels of communication fail or are frozen due to extreme trauma—such as the Pahalgam attack—states often pivot to "micro-aggressions" in the physical environment. The focus on "parking poles" and "queue liners" serves as a proxy for the larger, unresolved conflict over cross-border terrorism and territorial security. The underlying paradigm is one of zero-sum competition, where any perceived unilateral "gain" (like increased parking convenience in Islamabad) is viewed as a diplomatic loss for the other side.
The implication for human agency is a reliance on bureaucratic signaling rather than genuine conflict resolution. The cost is borne by the stability of the region, as these small gestures keep the psychological state of hostility active, potentially undermining the May 10 ceasefire.
Patterns detected: none
The root cause is the collapse of diplomatic trust following the April 2025 violence. This echoes historical Indo-Pakistani cycles where symbolic gestures precede or follow larger military shocks.
Bridge Questions:
1. How does the shift from military exchange (Operation Sindoor) to symbolic infrastructure removal signal a change in the current phase of conflict?
2. What would a "disproportionate" response look like in this specific diplomatic context?
3. To what extent do these symbolic actions serve domestic political audiences versus the foreign government they are intended to influence?
Counterstrike Scan: A coordinated influence campaign would likely exaggerate these structural removals as "imminent signs of war" to incite panic or "proof of surrender" to incite nationalist rage. The current content remains descriptive and focused on official MEA statements, showing no alignment with such an attack pattern.
