A MAN has been arrested after a “bomb threat” was made on a CalMac ferry and a passenger was rescued from the water on Friday evening.
Emergency services were called to Ardrossan harbour at around 5.45pm on Friday following a report of a “bomb threat” from CalMac and that a man had also gone overboard from one of its vessels.
The ferry operator said passengers on board CalMac’s Arran ferry service were evacuated as emergency services dealt with the incident.
Police have confirmed that a 23-year-old man has been arrested in connection with the incident.
READ MORE: It seems left-wing US politicians are now winning with Scots-style policies
The force added that enquiries are ongoing.
In an initial statement, CalMac said a threat was then received that a bomb was on board the vessel.
Police said it has since been established that the threats made were not credible, and there is no threat to the wider public.
CalMac said all 329 passengers who were on board and those who were at the port were guided to the nearby Asda car park by police as the search was carried out.
In an update, CalMac said passengers were allowed back on board to recover their vehicles after the search of the vessel was complete, and the situation had been resolved.
A Police Scotland spokesperson said: “A 23-year-old man has been arrested following an incident on a ferry in Ardrossan.
“Around 5.45pm on Friday, 21 August, 2026, we were made aware that a man had gone overboard the vessel and had caused a disturbance and made threats when he was rescued by staff.
“Officers attended and a 23-year-old man has been arrested in connection with the incident. Enquiries are ongoing.
“It has been established that the threats made were not credible.
“The incident has since concluded and there is no threat to the wider public.
“Due to expected disruption, members of the public are advised to contact Calmac for further travel information.”
READ MORE: Scottish beach with 'powder-white sand' dubbed 'the Maldives of the Hebrides'
CalMac chief executive Duncan Mackison said: “This was a fast-moving situation that was handled professionally by our crew, Ardrossan port staff and emergency services and I would like to extend my thanks and gratitude to them.”
All remaining sailings from Ardrossan on Friday evening have been cancelled to allow crew to be debriefed and for emergency equipment to be replenished.
Due to expected disruption, members of the public are advised to contact CalMac for further travel information.
Share
Facts Only
* A 23-year-old man was arrested in connection with an incident on a ferry in Ardrossan.
* At approximately 5:45 pm on Friday, August 21, 2026, authorities were alerted to a report of a bomb threat from CalMac and that a man had gone overboard from a vessel.
* Passengers on board the Arran ferry service were evacuated as emergency services responded.
* Police established that the threats made were not credible.
* All 329 passengers on board and those at the port were guided to the Asda car park for a search.
* After the vessel search, passengers were allowed back on board and to recover their vehicles.
* Remaining sailings from Ardrossan on Friday evening were cancelled.
